Thursday 11 September 2014

SUFFERING AND ART

One of my oldest friends, who I've quoted before, gave me some feedback today on my writing. 'One thing about this illness,' she said, 'It's got you producing some good writing.'
        It got me thinking.  Did she mean that my writing was mediocre or just not very good before, or has being in this state sent me into a realm of experience that by its very nature opens a door to produce more intense art?  better art?  
       You hear of artists suffering for their art. I've always thought that referred to the artist in the garret, skiving off others, on a diet of baguettes, clove cigarettes and illicit love affairs.
       But on another tack what hard work it is to produce a good piece of art, creative writing, a musical composition. For some, art is a form of relaxation. That's never been the case for me in my relationship to writing. I find it's very hard work to write.  And very hard work to persevere. Hope to ever get it out in the public eyes starts to fade when rejection emails fall into the inbox, or there's no response at all (perhaps worse).  That no longer matters so much to me, as it's the act of writing that enables me to reflect, express, and explore all manner of ideas and feelings.
       One of my friends at the Pontardawe  Script Cafe never edits anything, and I have to say her scripts are often original, funny and fresh. She goes with her muse. Writing doesn't seem like hard work to her. So is it just me?
       But what about suffering as a source for art? Clearly many writers and artists dig deep into their own pain- psychological, emotional and physical- and those sources of suffering can produce masterpieces that move and inspire viewers. readers audiences. The artist's suffering can universalize and normalize the human condition.   Johnson ( the writer, not Boris!) said something about writing helping him to enjoy and endure life.
       My attempt to set up, 'Writers in the Park' a local writing for well-being group, due to start next week, has had very little interest, and it's free! Perhaps it's because it's free, people don't think it can be any good. There's still a week to go. Still possible.
        In the meantime, if you've been following the Shingles saga here's a very short episode, fresh from last night.

 She peeped round the door of the bedroom. It was still dark. My eyes wouldn't open.
     'How's the bed of sea salt and granulated sugar?' she asked, as she slipped back into bed with        me. I tried to push her away, but it seems she's very comfortable with the current sleeping arrangements.

I'd love to hear what you think about  suffering and the artist.
       
       
   

No comments:

Post a Comment