Sunday 24 August 2014

SHINGLES


I had to cut short my holidays in Switzerland because I've got Shingles, a virus that lies dormant in the body of someone who's had chickenpox. and can be triggered by stress. Apparently it's very common among people over the age of 60. Below is the first draft a poem about the experience.


A wave of infection floods
neural pathways along my western front,
up-sweeping along its blad beaches
creating a tidal line of porridge pebbles,
iridescent, erubescent.
Eight thousand mils of aciclovir and co-codamol a day
spill me into a sleep of centuries
but no sleeping beauty,me-more
a hibernating selkie.
The ugly beast awakes, itchy, raw,
rummaging for fishy food,
half-full bottle of shiraz
from my bedroom shore
and, eurax
to rub gently on to wounds of scabbing sand.

Janet Daniel
24 August 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment