Monday 28 January 2013

ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS

On Saturday we saw the National Theatre touring production of 'One man two Guvnors,' by Richard Bean based on The Servant with Two Masters by Carlo Goldoni, with songs by Grant Olding.
The auditorium of the Wales Milennium Centre was packed with a very appreciative audience of over 1800.  North Walian actor,Owain Arthur played the lead role of 'the man/servant' He was OTT at times ( I guess he was supposed to be but his laughing at himself messing up got on my nerves after a while) and some of the so-called audience participation bits seemed a bit too rehearsed. Coming out of the tradition of Commedia dell 'Arte it was like watching a 'Carry On' piece. In fact in the programme there's a picture of  Barbara Windsor in 'Carry On Camping.'
    The audience loved it. I enjoyed it although some of the romantic relationships I found hardly credible.. It's certainly something very different from NT touring productions I've seen before. I wondered if I'd have enjoyed it more with James Corden in the lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment